5/25/2008

After reading Romans 9

He raised an indignant hand, calling for silence. I saw his face
and the mirrored irritation in the eyes of the whole synagogue. Again,
he raised his right hand - and my heart shattered -
o my brother!

I could wish myself cut off from the Water of Life if it would let you drink
(your own prophets have spoken it: if you stand, you will be shattered; the ram's horn & silver trumpet will not avail)

you walk through Netanya, Rehovot and Rishon Lezion,
the scowl of centuries still furrowing your brow;
you are diligent. you mix the charoseth & you call for Elijah - but the aficomen is just so much broken matzo.
You hope obstinately & you will not listen-yet you walk in fear and call it tradition.
you sneer, you call us "messianics" and everyday you
stumble on
the Rock of ages.
I weep for you, men of my race. He wept blood for you, men of my ancestry.

It is not as if God's word has failed
though my heart may fail;
Sarah had a son and Abraham was faithful,
but not all who descend from Israel are Israel -
o men of my race, why do you exchange your inheritance of glory for the shards of old scrolls?
For I could wish myself cursed...
You strong-jawed men, you busy-handed women - you are the rightful heirs! Yours is the adoption,
the legacy of divine glory,
the covenants,
the receiving of the law,
the temple worship
and the promises;
Yours are the patriarchs; men like Moses and Issac and Jacob and Joshua and Gideon and Abraham!

You have been accorded honor upon honor, if only you will don the wedding garment. You have been given the leading battalion, a place of glory in the ranks of a victorious army.
You are first-born. Take this pride and make your synagogue the dwelling of a mighty king! Ah, this unceasing anguish! Do you not see that from your blood & sinew is traced the human ancestry of Christ?

His hand is no longer upraised -It is withered. The time for waiting is past and in horror I see
that the synagogue has become
a tomb - the Torah lies unmolded amid the moldering dessication.
They would not shift camp, they would not follow the pillar of fire and cloud incarnate;
yet he came, he became One who's face glows like coals & he carries the Book and eternity surrounds him.
O Israel, O Israel. He loves you with an everlasting love,
come! COME!

1 comment:

lionhearted said...

your poems are like caged cougars - imprisoned, they pace back and forth, shaking and rattling their cages

it's like looking at a peter paul rubens painting - and seeing the muscles still rippling