4/08/2009

TO my ROOMIE!

On a cold winter day when the snow and stone
somberly sat in the cold all alone
and the wind in the trees
was a whispering breeze
murmuring low in sad cemetaries
I ventured abroad
over the sod;
I was mad
and tad
bit angry at God.
"Why not more snow? Why this dusting disgusting?
If you're really divine, then the sky should be busting!"
And sullen I wandered this way and that,
thwacking thick slabs with my un-needed hat
and thinking dark thoughts about sunshine and school
and forgetting completely the number one rule-
Don't walk through a graveyard reading off names
when you're angry at God. The mind likes to play games
it's the best worst sort of king
you might just find a name with too familiar a ring.
Thus did it pass, while enrapt in my self,
I stumbled and fell. And there on a shelf
of ice and of stone, graven clear and unworn
was the name "Rachel Reiley." I swear and I've sworn
many times since that day
that I saw what I saw and that's still what I'll say.
I saw her fair name cut quite horribly sharp
and beneath it a picture of a child-sized harp.
"Rest now, Beloved, rest and be warm.
Hawaii will miss your grace and your charm."
Frozen I stood, tears froze as they fell.
My roomate? My Rachel? Now like a door-nail?
I fled past the trees, sombre and stil,
I fled past the tombstones as I ran up the hill.
I fled and I fled just as hard as I could,
but it didn't matter, it did me no good.
For no sooner than breathless at home did I get,
then I found Reiley dead. Quite dead.
That was it.

And no matter the days that lie in between
that ‘then’ and this ‘now’, I’m sure what I’ve seen.
People may whisper and preachers may rant,
but this really happened and conceal it I can't.
I know what I know and I saw what I saw.
(yet I think Rachel died because she ate sushi, raw).

No comments: