7/10/2011

I follow Christ (Romans 7:24)

I save a judas-kiss for Sunday,
knowing even as I kneel before Him
that I have my price.
My mind wanders, turning aside to paths
strewn with skulls, nakedness, depravity.
A cold chill sets in. To ward it off,
I wrap myself in grave-cloths, instead
of sheltering in His arms. 
Hungry, I eat sand. Thirsty, I swallow brackish slime. 
Still wiping the mire from my face, I encounter another saint.
Thick smile, a nod, and then I praise Him with my dirty lips...
another layer of whitewash. It does not take long
for it to harden into a shell, shutting out the light, 
trapping in the filth. 

Oh wretched man that I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death?

CRACK! A terrible wrenching sound - the Word!
Searing purity, acid eating through the stale veneer...
the grave-cloths instantly disintegrate. My core
exposed. I grovel, vomit, and begin to sob. 
I see His hands, His feet, His side. The thorns.
The nakedness. My shame His covering, 
my foul words in His ears, my deeds stamped
upon His perfect life. 

Unthinkable - He calls my name! 
If I touch Him, I will only further humiliate Him.
He calls again. 
It is agony. 
Repent and believe!
He prays for me. 
I weep. 
What manner of Love is this? 
I weep. 
What kind of God would send His Son?
I weep. 
This God. Him. Jesus.
I repent. He picks me out of my vomit,
embraces me, bathes me, heals me,
and sets my feet, my mind, my soul
upon the Rock. 

Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!


-by j. cate smith

2 comments:

Caroline said...

This is so raw. This is the gospel. I get it and got it right away. Thank you. It's brilliant.

Unknown said...

I also read and reread. It is a good day when your children remind you of the TRUTH.

Dad