4/24/2011

He Is Risen Indeed

my love is sleeping in the other room
as the neighbor's dog scratches at the door and barks.

Rain, thunder, and repetitive birdsong
steal in through the window screens.

It's Easter Sunday.
He is risen...

...but the dishes aren't washed
and the floor isn't swept
and that dog is still barking.
And barking..
.

...but He is risen.
The Lord Christ is risen from the dead...

...but my puny tomato plant is
being beaten down by the rain
and laundry needs doing
(and barking barking barking)
and tomorrow's Monday and my feet hurt...


...but He is risen.

Lord, listen to the grimy misery of my heart,
encrusted with the mundane
and saturated with trivialities;
right now, it cannot soak in the Easter glory
or revel in redemption.

Lord, help me!

Tangled in chains of self-focus, my spiritual feet
cannot run to the tomb to rejoice with the angels;
My ears are tuned only to creation groaning in frustration.
How else could one barking dog drown out out the whole host of heaven?
Day and night they do not cease to say,
HOLY, HOLY, HOLY is THE LORD GOD, THE ALMIGHTY, WHO WAS AND WHO IS AND WHO IS TO COME.

Laden with spices, the women went to anoint your body; they loved you.
Even in their grief, their faith was strong - the stone was too big
for them to move, but they trusted you.
You led them to an open mystery, you rewarded their faith with Christ,
you replaced their tears with wonder.

You are mighty; you are Life.
In perfect obedience to Love
you fulfilled the written requirement.
You are worthy; you are the Lamb.

Forgive me, Jesus, for lingering so long today
before acknowledging your authority over death and its children;
in my head, I know you are the Light of the World
but the shadow-nature lurks within,
darkening my heart from you.
Only in your victory is sin conquered.
Only in your light do I see light.

Forgive my unbelief. Thank you for your grace. Lead me in your truth.

Alleluia!
Amen!

No comments: