8/08/2011

Prayer (as I labor to pray for those observing Ramadan)

Lord, I am sick of hollow holiness.
False prayers.
Calloused heart.

Lord, i am unclean.
Purify me.
Make me like you, that I may be in your presence. That I may fellowship with your Spirit and your Son. That I may know your mind and better worship You.

For you are great, and you are good.
In You there is no darkness, only joy and unending Light.
You are the supply and increase,
the source and center,
the pith and meaning of all that is true, worthy, eternal, and excellent.

I want to know you, through your Son Jesus Christ, and that is my all-consuming reason for holiness. Show me how to follow you. Teach me how to please you. Bend my heart away from folly, and fix it on your Name, your perfect heart. Incline my ears to only hear your voice, that they will be deaf to temptation, deaf to despair, and deaf to vanity.

Lord, I confess that many times a day, I seek to appear your disciple only because I crave the adoration of mere men. Yet that sort of service to You is not what you want, and as I know you better, it is not what I want either. Please tear off the mask of reverence that entombs me, and mold my living soul into a mirror that reflects your face, so I will have no use for masks, no fear of man, and no unrest in my inmost being.

I have tried to heal myself, but there is no human remedy for this spiritual disease of sin and pride – no matter what I do, I cannot rid myself of its influence. I look to you, I cry out to you.

Heal me, O Healer, and I shall praise you!!! Deliver me from the grip of death, and I will shout your name among the living; I will glorify you, my Redeemer, with all that I am!

1 comment:

JCS said...

"Why be holy? Why bother with integrity? Some seek holiness for power, for profit, gain and fame. But holiness is not holiness if it has any motive except being holy. Holiness is love and love does not love for what it can gain. If we love God to get spiritual gifts or to succeed in the ministry, it is pretended love and hollow holiness. Love’s reward is as wide as heaven and as endless as the skies."
- Reinhard Bonnke