8/16/2011

[they once were wise men...]













I have seen the wanderers on their wanderings
entranced by the sun but blind to the light.
Convinced the journey is redemption, they admire their worn sandals
and will not stop for water. Neither jeweled oasis nor humble cottage
will do, for they wear weariness as a virtue and
thirst as a badge of wisdom. They have no goal,
no aim, for (they say) it is arrogant to think there is Rest anywhere.
They grow belligerent when they see women by the Well,
laughing and draining Water from a simple cup. They scoff,
nursing their parched tongues and encouraging each other
not to break down and drink. "For," they say, "how do we
know if that is really water for drinking...or if it's even water at all?"
Their greatest fear is being satisfied, for Thirst is their god,
and they worship by wandering in the desert...  
__________________________________________________________________

“But as for you who forsake the LORD
   and forget my holy mountain, who spread a table for Fortune & fill bowls of mixed wine for Destiny, I will destine you for the sword, & all of you will fall in the slaughter; for I called but you did not answer, I spoke but you did not listen. You did evil in my sight & chose what displeases me.”  
Therefore this is what the Sovereign LORD says:
   “My servants will eat, but you will go hungry; my servants will drink, but you will go thirsty; my servants will rejoice, but you will be put to shame. My servants will sing out of the joy of their hearts, but you will cry out  from anguish of heart & wail in brokenness of spirit. - Isaiah 65:11-14

(photo by me: Florida Keys)  

No comments: