12/23/2008

S’il vous plaît

I'll fetch it for you, shall I?
Over the blue river & the waxing moon to the far green country
past the head of the horse, the sculpture of Vinzi
and the help of your family.
I knew what you wanted done the whole time -
isn't it possible she's innocent,
and you can stop asking questions. Have
you begun to realize the truth yet?
Deliberation & planning, all the eggs in our
baskets. Close ranks and smile.
Oh my darling, for God's sake, oh my darling...
it is too late,
the wife of the doctor will sit in that
chair forever. Play your saddest music
and get out the black lace.

Go, my child, your place is with the living.
I will remain here with the dead, with the many dead mouths and their questions.
That is not mercy, mother,
that is justice. But I will still fetch it for you,
the ending.
It's just over there, just past the river....

No comments: